Saturday, July 26, 2014

May complete - indigo

May's challenge done! 

All damaged digits aside, this was a really fun technique to play with.  I found taking the rorshach like flora print made and then going free motion quilting on it with several threads to be very freeing and really interesting.


I decided a checkered border on 2 sides would give it a bump in color.


I used a bright pink, olive green and steel blue threads for free motion quilting around the dyed pieces.  I may go back and add a few more along a few spaces.


The back is a few strips of fabrics I thought would contrast with the threads.  I love how the reverse image came through - the back is almost prettier than the front!


The flora used were actually small berries, a few weeds and some clipped leaves from house plants.  With the free motion quilting I made no attempt at realism - and it creates a floral that is not quite of this world.


This makes a really lovely addition to the year of challenges!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! We love to hear from you, please share your thoughts and feel free to join the fun!