Monday, July 14, 2014

April is complete! - Molly

"I think I can, I think I can...."

The last many months in my world have been uphill. With perseverance and support of people I love I am slowly climbing to the top. This quilt journey has been a bit of a guard rail. Although I've not been as on top of it as I would have liked, knowing it was here waiting for me was calm in the storm. (Whoa, that's a lot of metaphor). Anyhow, my April block is complete at last! And I quite love it. 

Indigo sent me a pile of batik scraps in blues and greens and purples, along with a packet of buttons and some gorgeous handmade skeleton leaves. I immediately thought water. And have created, what I think, is like a pool with ripples and rocks and leaves and sunlight creating a myriad  of colors on the surface. 
I have not trimmed it fully yet. The quilting caused the bottom to shrink in a bit and I need to make the wudginess go away, figure I can make it work when I put the final pieces together. 

I pieced the block entirely without a plan. Which is very much outside my comfort zone. I imagine paper piecing with a layout may have been easier. But I really enjoyed the: grab some scraps, sew, iron, trim, grab another scrap...wash , rinse, repeat. And it came together much how I initially envisioned it when I received the package.

It feels good to be getting caught up. I'm going to open my May bundle tomorrow and see what it brings. 

1 comment:

  1. i just love how this looks! I have enjoyed making those leaves, but have had a hard time finding use for them. Floating like this really works!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! We love to hear from you, please share your thoughts and feel free to join the fun!